Are you dissatisfied with your life? Perhaps you have lost your job or are underemployed. Maybe your life is dull and boring because you are in a routine that is comfortable but uninteresting. I believe this is why so many people like to play video games or watch TV. It helps them forget about life’s problems and zone out of the dullness of the daily grind for a while.
According to the Bible, there are secrets to living a life of contentment no matter whether you are wealthy or poor, sick or well, popular or unpopular. I will list 10 of these secrets below, with a scripture reference for further reading. Please take the time to look up these verses because the Holy Spirit speaks to us through His Word, which brings contentment to our lives. When you are feeling discontented with your life, say these out loud to yourself. This will serve as a reminder to you that contentment is a choice. When you say these out loud, you are making a choice to be content no matter what your circumstance might be.
I should remember…
- To be content with the things that I have, being free from the love of money. (1 Tim. 6:6-10)
- Rely on the power of the Holy Spirit who resides in me, because He is the source of my strength. (Eph. 3:16)
- Life does not consist in the abundance of the things I possess. (Luke 12:15)
- Never to worry, but trust the Lord. (Luke 12:22-34)
- To set my mind on things above, not on things on the earth. Col 3:2 (NKJV)
- To not be conceited or selfish, thinking only of myself, but I should look after the interests of others. (Phil. 2:3-4)
- To learn to be content no matter what circumstance I am in, because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:11-13)
- To learn to fear the LORD because this leads to life, and if I have this Godly fear I will abide in satisfaction and not be visited with evil. (Prov. 19:23)
- His strength is made perfect in my weakness. (2 Cor. 12:9-10)
- To always pray and to not lose heart, because God will avenge His elect. (Luke 18:1-8)