A Gift for Someone Who Has Everything
It’s Word Study Wednesday! On Wednesday mornings my Prayer in Every City prayer group has a conference call prayer meeting. This morning I sat for 10 minutes waiting for everyone to come on line and no one did so I ended up cancelling the call. But I guess the Lord had other plans today, because He gave me the inspiration for this lesson as I read the book of Proverbs instead.
Christmas is just around the corner and if you are like me, you are trying to find the perfect gift for the person who has everything. The types of presents we think of are tangible items we either consume, wear or play with. Sometimes these gifts are frivolous, but other times they are needed essentials such as food for the homeless or providing Christmas for a needy family. In this time of holiday rush, I hope that you will take the time to reflect on the free gifts that God has given us. Perhaps the person who has everything, needs salvation or spiritual wisdom. Have you ever heard the expression, “The poor little rich boy”? We need to seek spiritual gifts rather than just tangible gifts this holiday season. If you look at my post, Black Friday – 10 Free Gifts, you can see a list of 10 free gifts God offers in the Bible. Today we are going to focus on the gift of wisdom. God promises wisdom as a free gift to those who ask, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” James 1:5 (NKJV). Even though God freely gives this gift, according to the Old Testament we have to study the Word of God as well as pray to gain wisdom. So if you study the Word of God and ask for wisdom, God promises many special blessings. I will list 10 of these reasons from the book of Proverbs. Keep in mind that this is not the entire list so I recommend reading the book of Proverbs to learn more. Proverbs was written by King Solomon, who was the wisest man who ever lived. You should take the time to read the book of the wisest man. We read books about other people who claim to be wise, but according to the Bible Solomon was the wisest.
10 Reasons to Ask for Godly Wisdom
1. A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: 6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings. Prov. 1:5-6 (KJV)
2. Turn to my reproof, Behold, I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you. Prov. 1:23 (NASB)
3. Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God. Prov. 2:5 (NKJV)
4. Then you will understand righteousness and justice, Equity and every good path. Prov. 2:9 (NKJV)
5. My son, do not forget my teaching , But let your heart keep my commandments; 2 For length of days and years of life And peace they will add to you. Prov. 3:1-2 (NASB)
6. Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding; 14 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold. Prov. 3:13-14 (NKJV)
7. Her ways are pleasant ways And all her paths are peace. Prov. 3:17 (NASB)
8 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, And happy are all who hold her fast. Prov. 3:18 (NASB)
9. Then you will walk safely in your way, And your foot will not stumble. 24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet. Prov. 3:23-24 (NKJV)
10. Then you will walk safely in your way, And your foot will not stumble. 24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet. Prov. 3:23-24 (NKJV)
I hope this post has inspired you to ask the Lord for wisdom. The Bible has a warning for those who don’t seek wisdom, “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me; Because you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children” Hosea 4:6 (NKJV).
Now is the time to seek the Lord, “Seek the LORD while He may be found, Call upon Him while He is near. 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the LORD, And He will have mercy on him; And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon” Isaiah 55:6-7 (NKJV).
Have a Merry Christmas! Join Prayer in Every City this Saturday for Advent Week 2. My post on Advent Week 1, Bible Prophecies Regarding Birth of Jesus, has been very popular.
Leave a Reply